Pages

Saturday 26 January 2013

Pottering

Although spring still feels like it's a long way off, the weather was kind to us today and I managed to get out into the garden for a bit of pottering.


Keeping the Bird Feeders Topped up

The only thing left in the ground now is a couple of parsnips which are waiting for our next Sunday roast so I dug over the empty beds and covered them over in preparation for sowing. Given the recent spell of cold weather, this was much easier than I had anticipated. Using raised beds has clearly done the job in preventing the soil from getting compacted.

 

I was pleased to see the rhubarb has started to sprout. This was one of the few highlights of last season and, as we have two really good plants, I decided to try forcing one of them this year to see what difference it will make. A black bucket over the top should do the trick. When I get round to digging out the compost heap I will give both plants a good mulch.


I was also pleased to see the progress the garlic is making. Can't wait to get back to using the home grown stuff; so much tastier.

No comments:

Post a Comment