Pages

Monday 4 March 2013

Potting On

Did a lot of potting on and generally moving plants around on Sunday.
Firstly, I dug out one of the compost heaps. We have two so that we fill one whilst the other is left in peace to rot down. Time for a switch round before the season gets into full swing. The full heap should have most of the summer to slowly rot down ready for an autumn mulch.

We've had some broad beans coming on nicely in toilet roll tubes in the greenhouse. Time to plant these out into their own bed. They were such a surprisingly good crop last year, I made sure to put plenty in this time. I found they were great for adding to stews and even chilies last year, as well as being delicious on their own. To keep the mice off, I surrounded them with freshly cut holly leaves. I have no idea if this really works but I tried it last year and never had any problems with mice so no harm repeating it and it may even help to keep the cats off the fresh dirt. I even got creative and constructed a simple frame to give the beans something to cling on to as they grow.





Moving the beans out of the greenhouse left room to move the first of the rather leggy sweet peas in. I have really gone to town with these this year so it seemed to take most of the day to transplant them from their seed tray into individual pots. Only another couple of trays to go...








I also moved in the marigolds from the windowsill propagator out into the greenhouse. Of course this meant the propagator was empty so I couldn't resist putting a few more chili seeds in.
All in all a pretty busy day. I just hope I can keep up with things through March as everything seems to start to speed up this time of year.

Here's hoping to some warmer evenings and the chance to get something done throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment